Monday 14 March 2011

Out of Touch? Part 2

I would like to say sorry for being away for a while (mad busy) and thanks to everyone who commented on my last blog. I'm so glad that there are people who do believe that how we are portrayed in the media is as important as just being portrayed.

Part of why I have been busy recently is that I was attending a conference put on by the 2012 games organisers around diversity. During the day long round of back slapping and self congratulations I discovered something that helped explain why so much of the recent portrayal of disabled people in the media has been so wide of the mark. Both the Olympic and the Paralympic games have core values, that are used the publicise the games, and to help the public understand them. The three Olympic values are "Respect", Excellence" and "Friendship", while the Paralympic have four core values. They are "Equality", "Determination",(they go down hill from here), "Inspiration" and... "Courage". No wonder our media is full of brave super cripple stories, if one of the biggest events in the disability calender is promoting it's members as inspirational and courageous. How the hell can we get this equality they calm to want if the two games have such different values? Who the hell decided that on the Paralympic values?

I found myself lecturing the conference on how offended I was at "courage" and "inspiration" being a core values of the Paralympics. I am sure you all understand why but I shall explain to any readers who don't get it. Using the word courage when discussing disability creates the perception in the able bodied that anyone living with a disability is some how brave. Much of the discrimination faced by disabled people is due to an unspoken fear of disability and the possibility of becoming disabled. Part of this fear comes from the doubt that those feeling afraid could find the courage to cope if they found themselves disabled. Yet the truth is that us disabled people aren't some kind of super hero breed. Let's face it, what choice do we have other than get on with it? I suppose we could pay a visit to Dignitas, but other than that living with a disability is more pragmatism that bravery. Of course we can show courage, but only in the same way a every body else can.

But courage doesn't even fit with Paralympians. They might have dedication and commitment, and show excellence but not courage. Giving your life over to pushing your body to be the best you can be at a sport has no real elements of courage that I can see. They might be inspirational, if you want to be a sporty type, but for people like me who find all sport truly tedious, they just seem to be bit too tied up with themselves. Personally, I have found that most disabled sports people are so focused on sporting achievement that they have no real interest in things like politics or how what they do effects other disabled people. The fact that have dedicated themselves to an event that uses such offensive and damaging language to describe them proves just how out of touch with disability politics they are. Not one has gone public with their complaint or made a stand in any way. It's left, yet again, to mouthy non sporty gits like me.

There is proof that is starting to effect other disability events too. On the website of this year's Naidex it announces that visitors can "Hear inspirational stories from role models beating their disabilities". Argh!!!!! Let's not even mention that TV news standard about injured soldiers climbing something or other.

So, please dear reader, don't just post your comments to me. Make your voice heard. Mail and write to anyone who uses any language that you find offensive. Phone in to radio and TV talk shows, complain to newspapers and magazines and blog away on the subject. Let's make a stand, or a sit at least. I know that I shall be pursuing any avenue I can think of and bugger my career. I have never been able to keep my mouth shut to get myself on, and nor shall I. I have no desire to look back and see a world that has gone backwards and know I did nothing to try to stop it. No I'll let the Paralympians do that.

So guess I won't be invited to the Opening Ceremonies now, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I understand why you don't like courageous being used. But what's wrong with inspirational? I love being inspired by inspirational people so I'm not offended if someone is inspired by me. Surely it is good to inspire something in someone else if it helps them out?

    ReplyDelete